18. be + forced/compelled/obliged + to + V (不得不……)
例句：Only in a peaceful environment can people lay emphasis on sports events. The Olympic Games is a convincing example because it has been compelled to be cancelled several times in its history due to wars.
19. It is conceivable that + 句子 (可想而知的)
It is obvious that + 句子 (明显的)
It is apparent that + 句子 (显然的)
例句：It is conceivable that with the rapid development in society and economy, competition is becoming increasingly fierce and acute.
20. That is the reason why ~~~ (那就是……的原因)
例句：It costs an astronomical sum of fund to lock up so many criminals and that's the reason why imprisonment has imposed a great strain on the budget of a nation.
21. For the past + 时间，S + 现在完成式 (过去……年来，一直……)
例句：For the past decade or so, practical courses, such as computer and business, havegained tremendous popularity on college campuses.
22. Since + S + 过去式，S + 现在完成式。
例句：Since the advent of modern urbanization, people have been confronted with the dilemma whether or not they should demolish old houses and buildings that seem to have spoilt the cityscape.
23. It pays to + V ~~~ (……是值得的)
例句：It pays to create a fair atmosphere in which both males and females cooperate and compete on an equal footing.
24. be based on (以……为基础)
例句：The progress of thee society is based on harmony.
25. Spare no effort to + V (不遗余力的)
Developed nations should spare no effort to finance their economically disadvantaged counterparts.
26. bring home to + 人 + 事 (让……明白……事)
例句：We should bring home to the masses the significance of space research.
27. be closely related to ~~ (与……息息相关)
例句：Expanding population and influx of migrant workers are closely related to the problem.
28. There exists the possibility of + Ving (存在……的可能性)
There exists the possibility of wronging an innocent person.
29. Due to/Owing to/Thanks to + N/Ving, ~~~ (因为……)
例句： Thanks to coeducation system, benign competition and cooperation between male and female students are rightly encouraged.
30. Only...can (只有……才能)
例句：Only in cities can children be well prepared for their future life and keep up with the trend of the world.
31. Leave much to be desired (令人不满意)
例句：The condition of our traffic leaves much to be desired.
32. Have (exert, impose) a great influence on ~~~ (对……有很大的影响)
例句：Quality of citizens has a great influence on a nation’s prosperity.
33. do good to (对……有益)，do harm to (对……有害)
例句：Reading does good to our minds.
Overwork does harm to health.
34. Pose a great threat to ~~ (对……造成一大威胁)
例句：abortion poses a great threat to both women's physical and mental health.
35. do one‘s utmost to + V = do one‘s best (尽全力去……)
例句：schools should do their utmost to ensure the students' sound growth.